Copeland Forest was Divided in 1230ADThe upland section of the barony of Copeland or Egremont, covering the western valleys of the Lake District. The Copeland forest was partitioned into parts in 1338 after the death of John de Multon: The key part of the Copeland barony was called Eynerdale or Ennerdale or (The Liberty of Ennerdale) including the Ennerdale Valley (which was never reunited with the rest of the barony and was forfeited to the Crown in 1554, and then the Crown Manor was later sold outright for 2500 pounds to Earl Lonsdale in 1822.Copeland Lordship or BaronyThe Feudal Barony of Copeland, (later known as Egremont) sometimes known as Allerdale above Derwent, covered west Cumberland between the rivers Derwent and Duddon (though Millom lordship or seigniory was to all intents and purposes a separate unit of superior jurisdiction, so that the southern boundary of Egremont Lordship was effectively the River Esk). The barony was partitioned in 1338, after the death of John de Multon, the last baron of Egremont, two-thirds of the barony descending by the mid-16th century to the Percys, earls of Northumberland. Copeland forest does not appear as an entity in the MDR as it did not have the status of a single lordship or manor; records are entered under the name of the superior manors such as Ennerdale - Copeland. The Liberty of Ennerdale which was previously known as Eynerdale-Couplandia was also called Alnanderdale. Originally owned by the Barons Meschines as part of the Barony of Copeland. The Barony of Copeland was later owned by the Multon and heirs, then the ancient Enerdale Valley/Forest portion of the Barony of Copeland was partitioned into moieties and later owned by the: Harringtons, Greys, Marquess of Dorset, Marquis of Northhampton, Duke of Suffolk, and returned in 1554 to the Crown & Queen Elizabeth where the Crown Manor remained for several hundred years, and then the Crown sold sold the Ennerdale Manor outright to the Earl of Lonsdale (Lowthers) in 1821. Egre or Egremont is the foot of the Eyn or Eynderale. Eynerdale is a town, church, valley, and glacial lakes in the mountains fells above Egremont.